Saturday, February 2, 2013

Stand Tall: Books About Bullying

Tragically this week there was a fifth grade student in the county where we live who committed suicide.  There is much talk about the cause and much blame on bullying.  I cannot imagine what must be going on in such a young child's mind for her to take such a drastic step.  I also cannot imagine the pain her family is enduring right now.  My heart goes out to all in this sad situation.

I do not know this child, nor do I know anything about this story, but it did make me stop to think a bit. Tragedies like this are reminders to stay vigilant in our work in the classroom.  They are reminders to listen closely.  They are reminders to not only notice bullying and address it, but also to build children so they can stand tall.  This tragedy has reminded me of some of my favorite picture books for talking with students about this tough subject:

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell 

One by Kathryn Otoshi

The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill
The Great Fuzz Frenzy by Janet Stevens   

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes


My Listmania for other books about building social imagery.  What are you favorites?


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Wodney Wat by Helen Lester and Goal by Mina Javaherbin are two that I have used and found that the kids really connected to them. Thanks for the listmania you provided! :)

    ReplyDelete