Thursday, February 19, 2015

What Really Happens on Snow (Cold) Days

Last night we got the call - or should I say saw the website update - NO SCHOOL because of cold.  It's a gift to find out a day in advance about a school closing as it I can stay up late and read.  What really happens during a school closing?  I worry about what my students are missing.  Every instructional day matters.  Thankfully, it's a bit easier to stay connected to learners during snow days thanks to social media.  Through Twitter, my reading website, and email I can connect with families of learners missing a day of instruction.  In a typical school day I am busy working with students the entire day so a snow day provides opportunities to catch up on reading, learning, and professional development.  

A Day of Professional Learning
The #pb10for10 community is celebrating nonfiction picture books so I added a post.  Across the day I will be working my way through posts, trying to avoid my Amazon purchase button, and hoping to keep my library card busy.  This event will help me to introduce new nonfiction into our learning community.




Educators are joining our Digital Maker Playground learning opportunity.



I've been able to catch up on a bit of reading.  I'm trying to find more early transitional books for the readers I support and have some professional reading as well.  (my children's lit shelf / my personal shelf)



I'm hoping my students are home reading, but I've been recruiting participants for the March Slice of Life Challenge.


Though it's not common, this extreme cold has closed school again for tomorrow.  I wonder what I can accomplish tomorrow.  





1 comment:

  1. I just saw this, Cathy, hope today was good, too! Fun at the #NFPB10for10!

    ReplyDelete